Monday, June 24, 2013

Prayer. Live it. Love it. Share it.

I'm not sure why, but lately I have been reading a lot about the atonement. I had so many questions running through my head.

-What did the atonement accomplish?
-How does this great sacrifice benefit me?
-How can I use it CORRECTLY?
-What exactly is the atonement?

Holy smokes....what a deep topic! It's literally been since LAST August I started this quest...and I think I am finally grasping the concept. 
I wish I were cool like Heavenly Father, and understood everything. Knew everything, and could love unconditionally. 

Luckily, that's why we are here! To learn, love, grow, "grasp," and teach EVERYBODY ;)

So where to start on this fabulous topic....

Oddly enough, I started with prayer. If I wanted to get the right answers and understanding, I wanted to make sure I knew how to get it. I started a separate journal, my daily goals and prayer journal. Every morning I'd rise and fall straight to my knee's so I wouldn't forget to pray. I noticed that I basically recited the same prayer each morning. "Thank for the good nights rest.." "please help me to have a good day.." Basically I felt like I was praying in vain. So I changed.

I started to think.....how did Nephi Speak with the Lord. How does Thomas S. Monson speak with the Lord. I want to pray like that.
I thought to myself...."I bet they talk, they really talk to the lord, I bet they don't talk about the boy you have a crush on down the street. The middle school drama, how your parents won't buy you a car..."
They pray about REALITY. But, what is reality? Well brothers and sisters, I believe that that spiritual things are reality, temporal things are past time...temporary.
There are eternal things that ARE reality, thats how I want to live my life, to pray, that's how I want to teach- on a side note, you know what's weird...you and I knew each other before, we are just re-geting to know each other, so why should missionary work be so scary?

Okay so back to prayer,
I was in this mode of saying "the prayer" whether it was for food...we all know the general prayer...we have a sunday school prayer, the night prayer, the "please help me pass this test!" prayer... Why couldn't I just speak to heavenly father? what was I doing wrong. Until I taught myself this:

I invited myself to pray...prayer shouldn't be the LAST thing we think of, it should be the FIRST.
I am the voice for myself, I invite myself to speak with the lord. In MY reality, this is MY SPIRIT speaking with MY father I knew and loved before! I listened to him, I fought for him, I shouted for joy when I heard the plan of happiness. Even though I can't remember it, I can still speak with him, cry with him, laugh and scuff my feet on the ground until I decide he's right. Prayer needs to be guided by the spirit, don't be afraid to open the heavens and talk with God.

So back to the question of how did Nephi speak with God, how does President Monson speak with God?
Through prayer, guided by and through the spirit. Coming before the Lord to pray and opening the heavens, speaking with God and knowing that he is talking back. Thats the prayer of the prophets, thats the prayer of faith, thats the prayer I want!

So lets assume you know nothing about prayer...your cup is empty,

You have kneeled down by your bed (or wherever you may be) united with your spirit in the name of christ, to learn about your father in heaven and the relationship with him. As your beginning, the door opens, in walks your Heavenly Father and says "Did you want to talk with me?" rather than bringing up the boy down the street, or the fact your parents won't buy you a car. Or rambling on about temporal things, you say "Yea Lord, I do.." representing yourself, or representing a group of people is prayer. Conversing through the spirit and opening the heavens, is prayer.

You have a responsibility to open your heart and learn through prayer. LOVE the Lord with all thine heart.
I have a testimony that prayer is beautiful and opens your heart and eyes to many lessons. I know that when you pray with full intent of revelation, it comes and it's amazing! The Lord has so many things to share with you, and to tell you if you let him ;) Be not afraid. This is reality ;)



I know this isn't anything about the atonement, BUT good things come to those who wait ;)
Next post will begin the atonement.

Hermana Lyman




No comments:

Post a Comment